What should I do if I lost my debit or credit card?

The first thing you will want to do is call 1-888-297-3416 and report your card lost or stolen. This will block your card and we can re-issue a new one. You'll also want to monitor your account and watch out for unauthorized transactions. 

You can also report your card lost/stolen through your online banking. Click on your checking or credit card (whichever one you need blocked), then select Card Management and select the card you wish to block. 

You can still call the Credit Union at 559-686-1791 during regular business hours to report a card lost/stolen.

For after hour support, you can call our toll-free numbers.

    • To report a Debit/Credit Card lost/stolen call 1-888-297-3416

    • To PIN a Debit/Credit Card call 1-800-290-7893